PART 2 Pro Santas using Social Media...Your Santa Claus FRIEND Page on Facebook
Continuing Educations and Information
for serious New and Veteran Professional Santas
based upon level 1 core curriculum from
Professional Santa Claus School (PSCS) of Denver Colorado.
Founded in 1983
to support great men with great hearts (Real Santas!) in maintaining a great tradition.
Our last post covered using Facebook... specifically, setting up a "Fan" of business page for your Santa Claus business for your clients... Now I'll cover using your Santa "Friend" page for connecting professionally within our industry.
Today, we'll cover connecting with other Santa Clauses worldwide,
when you are BEing your Santa Claus persona on your "Friend" page on Facebook...
- All of us Santas know how very much fun it is to be together!
- We all like sharing our thoughts, photos, overflow gigs, new finds and information with the entire Santa community, so this page will serve as your Industry Social Santa “FRIEND” page.
- Santa Bill Baltimore, where most of your “friends” and connections will be other Santas, Mrs. Clauses and Santa industry supporters.
- Your clients do NOT need/want to know/learn about the smoke and mirrors that make you magic! Such as; You are attending a local Santa Claus meeting or national conference, or that you just ordered a new suit, or today you are going to get your beard bleached, how you groom your beard or moustache, that you had a funny request from a child, you are designing a new chair, you saw a cool sleigh, you found an awesome resource for a new Santa accessory, you went to the reindeer park to learn about reindeer…
- The Santa Claus community is thrilled with these tidbits, photos and ideas that you'll share! AND wants to hear and share info about BEing Santa Claus. BUT... All of this is WAY T.M.I. for your clients, but not for other Santas to share. So share away!
- If you are planning or hosting a Santa event… you aren’t going to invite your clients! (which could easily happen if you hit a wrong button if you are not familiar enough with the FB platform) Nope… just other Santas!
- Your clients only care that you look great, not where you got your boots or bells.
- In case children do somehow "happen by" your Santa (industry) "Friend" page, you’ll want NOT to automatically “FRIEND” them, (or anyone else for that matter, BEFORE you check their page before you “accept” their invite. There are some strange, mysterious and odd product marketing "beings" out in the cyber universe!)
- Wouldn’t that be hard to explain, why you have 653 other Santa “Friends”…to a child who was poking around for "the answer" to that burning childhood question about Santa, on FB? So please don’t blow your cover, or ours by accidentally "friending" little ones!
- It's a good rule to NEVER accept a friend invite (unless you know them of course) until you've gone to their page to explore just who you are connecting with! (We never accept an invite from "beings" without a photo, but that's just our personal rule.) But we love making new friends on both our Santa pages (Fan & Friend) and we sincerely hope that the info we share is of benefit to the entire Santa community!
Mystery "BEing" ?
- As with your "FAN" page, it's not always about quantity of friends, but the QUALITY of those you choose to associate with! Pick Santas committed to the Santa industry for your "friends" on your Santa Friend page, even if they are new... Let's help our new generation of Santas!
- This page is your industry insider page of Santa “friend” info. You’ll want to still maintain a very high level of professionalism in your posts and select quality Santa “friends.”
- If you feel someone you have selected to be a "friend" is acting inappropriately on FB, you can always block or "unfriend" them. OUCH!
- If you are acting with ethics, you won't be unfriended. If you are "unfriended," you'll probably never know why and won't be able to "message" that person to find out "why?". Polish up your act and just move forward.
- One may (and probably WILL!) raise
an eyebrow, when any Santa is connected to / "Friends" such as too many
children, teens, gun groups, political associations, numerous MLM companies, or busty pole dancers in
bikinis and 6 inch gold pumps! That just is not very Santa-like!
Very Nice! But NOT an appropriate Santa "friend."
The “posts” you “share” AS SANTA, should always reflect
your high ethical level of Santa professionalism.
You are in your Santa persona when you are on your "Santa Bill Baltimore" (“Friend”) page.
- Santa lives at the North Pole and is a citizen of the world. He doesn't vote. Santa does not get involved with politics- national or inter-industrial! Santa does not share or originate anything rude, demeaning or off-color, ... you get my point! PART 3 of this blog, coming soon will show you how you can express yourself and still maintain a PRISTINE Santa persona online.
- Your Santa "friend" page should be happy, positive, fun, supportive, creative and used for quality networking with other Santas.
- Need more quality Santa friends? Go to www.facebook.com/santaschool.denvercolorado and check out our friends. Select some to add to your network. They are all top rate, bonafide, quality folks. Keep reading before you act...
- A word of caution... sending "friend requests" to too many Santas and Santa supporters in one day or week is considered bad behavior and will get you locked out of FB for a period of time.
- Solution... Pick and explore the pages of 5 new Santa industry potential friends a day. On their page is a button to send them a "MESSAGE" before you send them a "friend request." Do it the old fashioned way that you excel at- make a new friend, share a bit of your story- you are new or just getting started, etc and see if they respond in a few days. THEN "friend request" them if they haven't already asked to "friend" you! Cyber etiquette!
Most of all. ALWAYS respect your own Santa Claus reputation,
as if you were in public, in your full dress reds Santa outfit,
because YOU ARE,
when you are connecting AS SANTA, online with real people
and other Santas in the Santa community worldwide.
Stay tuned for PART 3... we'll discuss humans and elves!
Please feel free to leave us your comments, ideas and tips
for using Social Media tools as Santa Claus!
We'd love to hear from YOU!
See you at the Santa School Conference this fall!
Master Santa Claus Trainer since 1983!
31st Professional Santa Claus School Denver, CO
August 30 – September 3, 2013